Dame Jan Yap shares this healthy recipe which she teaches to students for Liholiho Elementary School’s Food Day.
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup ice, or adjust to taste
- 1 tablespoon lime or lemon juice (skip if using acidic fruit such as pineapple)
- 1/2 head romaine lettuce, 3 handfuls baby spinach or any mixed leafy greens
Add-in fruit combo suggestions (up to 2 cups fruit):
- 1 apple
- 2 apple bananas
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 large mango
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup mixed frozen berries
- 1/2 apple banana
- 3 chopped dates (if you want it to be sweeter)
- 1/2 cup watermelon with seeds
- 1 handful mint leaves
Wash produce and precut veggies. To blender, add water and ice, lime or lemon juice if using, and fruit with highest water content first, then the rest. Fill blender to top with greens. Ensure there’s enough water for thorough blending by covering most of food in blender with water.
Blend long enough to achieve smooth consistency, but not so long that the drink warms.